Believe it or not, The Hunger Games has grossed more money at the domestic box office than every single Harry Potter film and each Lord of the Rings film. So, it should surprise absolutely no one that Lionsgate is planning a huge party when The Hunger Games debuts on home entertainment.
The Hunger Games will be available on DVD and Blu-ray at 12:01 AM on Saturday, August 18 and Lionsgate is promising that it will be "the home entertainment event of the year."
While all of the specific retail events are still be planned, it's safe to assume that many stores will be open late to take advantage of The Hunger Games excitement.
Unlike some other big movies that shall not be named, the initial offerings of The Hunger Games look to be jam-packed with special features and extra goodies.
BLU-RAY & DVD SPECIAL FEATURES*
- "The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games" - an eight-part documentary covering the "making of" the film in all aspects from the pre-production process all the way through the theatrical release and fan reactions
- "Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenom" featurette
- "Letters from the Rose Garden" featurette - insights from Donald Sutherland on the development of his role as President Snow
- "Controlling the Games" featurette - stories and concepts behind creating the control center
- "A Conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell"
- Propaganda Film (in its entirety)
- Marketing Archive
- "Preparing for The Games: A Director's Process" (Blu-ray Exclusive)
* Subject to change
Lionsgate even created a special home entertainment announcement video which I would daresay is better than all of the theatrical trailers released for the film. Check it out below.
The DVD will carry a suggested retail price of $30.98, while the Blu-ray will have a suggested retail price of $39.99. They are both 2 disc versions with over 3 hours of bonus features on them. Both versions also include a digital copy of the film. You can check out the box art is below.